Friday, July 22, 2011

Let the Sun Shine In

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately, and many of them are very good. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of people who want to focus on the negative. Or on past hurts. Or on pain and depression or just unhappiness in general. While it's all well and good to write in order to get your pain out, and it can be a very cathartic experience, dwelling on it can really affect your life and stunt your spiritual growth.

After a decade as a psychologist, I decided that too many people spend too much time focusing on the negative. A small change in focus and perception works wonders. Continuing to focus on the negative only attracts more negative. Or at the very least, you only notice the negative because that's all you are seeing. I'm not saying that bad things don't happen. But they definitely don't happen every single day, 24 hours a day, which is the impression I get from some people.

Remember the scene in "Meet the Robinsons" when the Bowler Hat Guy is still young? After he misses catching that baseball, he becomes quite depressed and focuses only on that. He talks about how no one ever talked to him after that, and no one ever liked him. In fact, as he is walking through the hallway at school everyone is saying hi, waving to him, and inviting him over or out to play. Are you like Mr. Bowler Hat Guy? Are you caught in your own little world of funk, unable to see the happiness, joy, and connection around you?

If so, I'd invite you to take this Friday to notice the positives in your life. Take a few moments to be thankful for a few things. Notice the fresh air if it's raining, or the sun if it's shining. When I went to do the dishes this morning, I opened the curtain on the window at our sink, and was blasted by warming rays of light.

So, Let the Sunshine In!

2 comments:

  1. That was one of the big reasons I had o place being where I worked. One of my colleagues thought his best sessions were those where the client cried. Gee whiz. I saw people going for therapy, to the same person, for 7 years! Get a clue!
    what you focus on will always expand. Great post!
    Don't be surprised when you see 2 posts I wrote but have not published yet. We are on the same wavelength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I love Tarot so much better. You don't drag that out for 7 years - you can get straight to the joy and possible solutions. Yay!

    Looking forward to your posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete